Friday, January 21, 2011

Alfred J Falciani, 1933-2011.

My Father passed away last Saturday. It was both expected and a surprise.

He was diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus in November of 2009 and had outlived any expectations I had during his fight.  He had only gone into hospice the week before so we all honestly thought he would have a tough go of it through the winter. It was more than likely tumors that had spread to his brain that made for a quick end. God's timing was evidenced from my sister's wedding through Oldest Son being here instead of on a semester to Italy.

From the time he passed on Saturday until the funeral yesterday were some of the most stressful days of doing nothing I have ever spent. The family gathered at my parents home in Broomall for the week where we sat and made arrangements, met with friends and family and worked on the family tree. My brother said it was a lot like the movie Ground Hog Day where everyday you just got up and got through it, waiting for the funeral Thursday.

The week wasn't without its funnier moments like my mother exchanging the burial plot and dealing with the "strictness" of the Archdioceses of Philadelphia's rules. Maybe I'll fill you in on those later.

Thank You to all offered condolences and stopped by the house, it was special to see and hear from so many.

This morning when I woke up I was pretty sure Ground Hog Day was over because we received a dusting of snow over night.

No comments: