Monday, August 30, 2010

Looking Good Billy Ray

We are having a last summer fling with the The Chancellor's Family and we are back in Ocean City. We have considerably upgraded accommodations compared to last time with a beach/boardwalk/pool view out the front deck compared to a view of the Wawa last time around.

It's an incredible house with 5 bedrooms and 4 baths and it shares a pool with the attached duplex next door.

I can not begin to describe the fun of watching people pass in the boardwalk and just gawk at the pool and house. I feel like a rapper. Call me Alpa Chino.

I've had the final scene of Trading Places stuck in my head for a while now and am intent on teaching my Mother-in-law the proper response to "Looking good Billy Ray" so that when I yell it from the boardwalk she will respond "Feeling Good Louis". She hasn't gotten it down quite yet but maybe that's because she is 80 and has no idea what I am talking about.  I'll keep at it.

You would think that after six straight years of coming to Ocean City the summers for a week or so that I would have packing down to a science but no, we started a list for Oldest son who came down 24 hours after us almost immediately after arriving.

Another week down the shore means another week of beach tags. If I'd have thought about it, I would have bought seasonal beach tags back in July since I knew then that we would be back down for another week but there I was buying badges with a big 12 on them 6 weeks after I bought badges with a big 6 on them.

The Chancellor has clear disdain for beach badges and makes sport of evading the teenagers assigned to check badges at the beach entrances. She uses the Jedi Mind Trick on the weak minded fools and has an ready number of reasons why she doesn't have a beach badge on the tip of her tongue. Her newest excuse from her repitore is to point to the beach front house and say "they came with the house but we don't want to lose them". The weak minded fools don't even realize this is final week for badges. Who would care if you lost them now?

I was thinking that I should buy the Kids T-shirts that say "Ocean City Land Patrol" and position them on the opposite side of the boardwalk from the beach badge checking teenagers. I'd have the kids ask people getting off the beach if they have a "Land Badge" and charge them 10 bucks a week for one if they didn't.

I think it would work.

The Chancellor's oldest sister is the complete opposite when it comes to the beach badges. She makes sure her beach badges is purchased on time and is prominently displayed. She prepares at the house before heading out. 

The weather seems to follow us to Ocean City as well. Today and the rest of the week should be in the 90's so we are looking forward to that.

No comments: