Monday, December 28, 2009

It's a day

Today was my annual PC clean up day. Every year after Christmas I spend at least one whole day cleaning up a years worth files, reinstalling a desktop OS or rebuilding a Linux fileserver at home.

We used to have a saying at my old job that went like this "Anytime you touch your PC, it's a day". True.

This year I finally replaced my creaking HP Pavilion desktop circa 2002 with 3/4 of a Gig of ram with a laptop. I bought a middle of the road HP laptop for about $650 at Best Buy on Saturday and then spent Sunday copying the Music files from the old Pavilion over the network.

Today was the big day to move in to the laptop.

First up was iTunes. Since I had quite the unique configuration on the Pavilion with the "My Music" folder on the server and the Music on a D: disk, this wasn't easy. I literally spent the entire morning trying different tactics to get the Music and Library lined up so the I wouldn't have those dreaded ! marks next to every file and have to recreate the entire iPod universe all over again.

Finally I got all lined up by simply changing the Media directory in iTunes on the laptop.

The absolute coolest part of the new laptop? The HDMI interface.

I have it connected to the 52" LCD TV and "borrowed" Youngest sons wireless keyboard and mouse. I felt like I should have put on a tie and reviewed the family budget in front of the entire family (and here you can see the 27 cents we saved using CFL lightbulbs)

From there, it was all downhill. One task caused four new ones. It was brutal. Let's just say it was a wasted after noon of disk clean ups, roaming profiles and loading Microsoft Security Essentials 5 times. The easiest disk clean up decision? Removing the gigs and gigs of space eaten up by perl script I had that has been running since 2006 capturing a Web-Cam in Santorini, Greece EVERY TEN MINUTES. I am not making this up. I had forgotten all about it. It was pretty cool to see the time lapse of ships leaving the harbor. It was not worth 20 Gig of space.

I shut off the script.

I can't wait to get back to work tomorrow. I need a break.

No comments: