Thursday, June 04, 2009

Hangin at airport.

The WWOOF experience is coming to a close as I am waiting to pick up Oldest Son from the airport. I'm sitting in the arrival section of terminal 8 of JFK airport and I'm about an hour and half early.

It's the middle of the day but the traffic across the Veranzano bridge is unpredictable so I left plenty of time, and of course, that means I'm early.

I'm a JFK captive. CNN is on as a buzz in the background, broken only by the overhead messages over and over:

Welcome to terminal eight of JFK International Airport. You should not accept offers of transportation from anyone with out prior arrangement. An unknown driver may not be licensed, have insurance or may over charge you more now or at the end of your ride. For ground transportation information go to the ground transportation center in the arrivals section of this building, for taxis proceed to the taxi stand just outside this building and a uniformed taxi dispatcher will assist you.

And later in Spanish:
Dé la bienvenida al terminal ocho del aeropuerto internacional de JFK. Usted no debe aceptar ofertas del transporte de cualquier persona con el arreglo hacia fuera anterior. Un conductor desconocido no se puede autorizar, tiene seguro o más ahora puede sobre carga usted o en el final de su paseo. Para la información del transporte de tierra vaya al centro del transporte de tierra en la sección de las llegadas de este edificio, porque los taxis proceden a la parada de taxis apenas fuera de este edificio y un asistente uniformado del taxi le asistirá.

I paid 7 bucks for a coffee and a croissant. Ah, the trill of air travel. I can't wait to see what parking is going to end up costing me. I was going to hang in the car and wait for the text message from him when he was cleared customs but a call from nature squelched those plans almost immediately.

Smoking is not allowed in the terminal.

We have a lot of catching up to do. I have no idea what ever became of Pat and James, or where they are headed. Maybe they are coming back with me? Maybe they are headed back to Nebraska. I don't know. The last tweet I have says he bought vodka. How that was legal, I have no idea. Is he getting through customs with that?

May I have your attention. If any unknown person attempts to give you anything to take with you including luggage or packages, do not accept and notify airline personnel. Do not leave luggage unattended. Checked luggage is subject to search.

This is a real international cross roads. I've seen everything but an Eskimo so far. Belay that.

Welcome to terminal eight of JFK International Airport. You should not accept offers of transportation from anyone with out prior arrangement. An unknown driver may not be licensed, have insurance or may over charge you more now or at the end of your ride. For ground transportation information go to the ground transportation center in the arrivals section of this building, for taxis proceed to the taxi stand just outside this building and a uniformed taxi dispatcher will assist you.

The traditional arrival info is on TV screens in front of me, I'm receiving text messages with the same info and I'm checking the American Airlines. How long will it be before I actually hand the plane from my Blackberry?

Dé la bienvenida al terminal ocho del aeropuerto internacional de JFK. Usted no debe aceptar ofertas del transporte de cualquier persona con el arreglo hacia fuera anterior. Un conductor desconocido no se puede autorizar, tiene seguro o más ahora puede sobre carga usted o en el final de su paseo. Para la información del transporte de tierra vaya al centro del transporte de tierra en la sección de las llegadas de este edificio, porque los taxis proceden a la parada de taxis apenas fuera de este edificio y un asistente uniformado del taxi le asistirá.

The arrival time inexplicably just became 10 minutes earlier than it was and I need to pack up and go find him.

Updates on WWOOF to follow.

No comments: