Saturday, March 29, 2008

Don't get old.

It's Official. Once I send them my $12.50, I'm a member of AARP. They wasted no time getting me my application right before my 50th birthday. It's like they knew.

I'm thinking this is impossible, but all the signs were there. My oldest is about to enter college, I've been out from work twice this year with a bad back and my hair is getting grayer every day.

I'm thinking "how is this possible?" but I'm sitting here listening to Bob Dylan sing Tangled up in Blue and I realize that he'll be 67 this May. Even Mick Jagger will be 65 this year but of course what ever deal he has worked out with Satan has him looking much younger. I can't say the same for the Keith Richards but then again he's been dead since sometime in 1972.

I guess the worst part is that I'm not actually retired. I still have to get my creaking back up everyday and go to work with no end in sight! It doesn't seem fair to be a member of a national retirement organization and still have to go to work.

Maybe it's time to dust off that retirement planning kit that my company gave me a few years ago. Maybe start taking better care of myself too.

"If I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken a lot better care of myself"
- Mickey Mantle

I had an Aunt that used to say "Don't Get Old". Of course the alternatives aren't good either. We'll I've gotta go, Matlock is coming on.

No comments: