Saturday, February 16, 2008

Laundry chronicles

My wife and I went to a Sixers Game last week thus completing my "Philadelphia Sports Viewing for cycle" for the year with visits to the Phillies (3), Eagles (2), Flyers (3) and now the Sixers. It was a sad "sit where ever you want" affair with the stands 35-45% full.

We got the tickets from her sister and brother-in-law (Thanks Linda and Rick!) and they were good seats.

The Sixers won but I'm not sure what that says about their opponent that night, the LA Clippers. Now that's a bad team. They had this big slow white center named Kamen that couldn't hit a basket if the hoop were the size of a hula-hoop. He got a lot of rebounds though.

I think the NBA might be in trouble.

My wife was hurrying to get some laundry cycles in before the game. She didn't quite make it and had to leave a load running in the dryer.

While we were out Oldest son decided to do his laundry.

This is a recipe for disaster. While it's great that they do their own laundry, it's like having two bad room mates.

When his clothes were done in the washer, he asked his younger brother to move his clothes from the washer to the dryer for him.

Faced with a full dryer, youngest son decided the best course of action was to dump the clean clothes in the dryer on the floor in the family room and then place his brothers clothes in the now empty dryer.

We came home to the pile of clothes and the inquisitions started.

"Who did this to my Laundry?

His older brother ratted him out of course and youngest son admitted that he had done it but stuck to the "but I was doing him a favor" defense. This defense is based on the premise that one can do anything they want as long as the actions were not self motivated. You can always say "but he asked me to".

It's like a German soldier in World War II "only following orders".

We spent a half an hour trying to convince youngest son that he was responsible since he did it but in the end this fell on deaf ears. It became clear that neither party was budging and we (she) ended up picking up the Laundry. Of course the real guilty party walked away scot-free.

The next day however, fate stepped in. The Washer drain backed up and I put draino in it to clear it out. I turned off the water to washer and pulled the drain so that no one would use the washer while this maintenance was taking place and I put the draino in the plumbing.

Oldest Son missed my signals and dumped his clothes in the washer with the detergent and turned it on. Nothing happened.

I had to flush the draino which was safely way from the clothes with a cycle or two of the washer while his clothes sat in the detergent.

Guilty as charged.

No comments: