Friday, November 30, 2007

It's the warder.

My brothers were in town last week. One lives on the East Coast, a drivable distance away and the other lives in California.

They both miss many things from the Philadelphia region, Tastykakes, for example, but the one thing they miss the most from this area is the bread.

Philly has great bread.

It's one of those things that you tend to take for granted, living here year 'round but when family comes back to town, that is all they rave about.

It's true, Philly does have great bread and bakers, like Aversa's.

What I can't figure out is why others have not been able to copy the breads and rolls like Aversa's in other places. I mean don't that have wheat, yeast and eggs? I mean Joe Aversa brought the recipe from Italy, why can't someone bring it to California?

I've heard that the difference is the water or as they say in Philly - the warder. But I'm not so sure.

I guess it's just another one of life's mysteries.

No comments: