Monday, October 01, 2007

A lesson

Today youngest son called right on schedule at 2:30 in the afternoon for his usual check in/out call after school. He wanted to go over friends house so I let him go.

When I pulled up in front of the house after work, the garage door was open, the front door was wide open and windows were open all over the first floor. When I came in the first thing I did was to check the house for missing items since he had been gone for 3 hours and I assumed that the house was that wide open for that long. We had spoken to him numerous times about locking up when he left but he just wasn't getting it.

So I took his TV, Xbox360 and his ipod which were all just sitting out in his room and hide them in my closet.

He came home at 6:30 and went right to his room. I heard him gasp from the kitchen but I think I did a good job of keeping a straight face. I got angry when he told me just like I was supposed to when he told me his stuff was missing.

Then I walked around and checked the rest of the house and found everything else was in order. I told him to make a list and we would call the police "but it looks like only your stuff is missing".

While he was stewing, I asked him if locked up the house when he left and sheepishly told me no.
I let him stew for a little longer while getting dinner ready.

He was pissed off that some one would come in and steal only his stuff. I told him that well, next time I guess you'll lock up.

Then at dinner I told him. He immediate reaction was "you are a very good teacher" and I think then from now on he will lock up.

No comments: