Wednesday, August 01, 2007

First License

Today was an unusual day. I took the day off and took oldest son to take is drivers test.

He passed. This both good and bad.

He and I then spent the morning running errands such as adding him to our insurance. In New Jersey this is going to cost us $1100/year and the agent pretty much told me to kiss my accident free discount goodbye.

I got home just in time for a power outage. Power at the house died for most of the hot afternoon.

Then the car broke down. The battery died in front of the house. If we had lost the phone it would have been like Gilligan's Island for about an hour. (No Phone, No lights, no motor car....)

The AAA guy came and I figured out an errand we had missed in the morning, namely adding Oldest Son to AAA.

The gruff AAA guy came and turned into a battery savant telling me that I had purchased the battery over five years ago (Thanks, just start the car OK?).

He brought this tiny little box that hooked up to the battery and it started the car right away. He offered to sell me a battery for $100. I couldn't believe that a battery for Honda Civic was going to be $100 and politely declined.

I drove right over to Wal-Mart for a Jeff Foxworthy moment as I changed the battery in the shade of the corner of the parking lot and brought the old one right back into the store in a shopping cart. (if your porch collapses and kills more than three dogs... you might be a redneck. If you've ever done auto repairs in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart....)

I have no pride, especially if I can save $40.

The real reason I did this is because I know that I would never return the old battery unless I did it there. I know because I still have the one from the minivan sitting in my garage.

And I wanted my $9 back.

So now we have 3 drivers in the house and two cars which is not going to add up. After I changed out the battery, Oldest Son took the car and
  • Dropped off his girl friend in Cherry Hill.
  • Drove himself over to Marching Band Practice
  • Drove back over to Cherry Hill to pick up his girl friend.
  • Drove home.
This of course was after I sent him out for paper for the printer at noon and he came back with his girl friend from Cherry Hill.

Getting the logistics down is going to be tough. For example, tonight a friend picked him up after all that and he left with my car keys.

Ohh and by the way, that is my actual first license at the top of this entry. I passed my test on the 19th of October in 1974, almost 39 years ago.

No comments: