Monday, August 21, 2006

Hidden Treasure

I spent most of Saturday hauling 14 years of junk from the shed to the curb. An admitted pack rat with a 12' x 16' shed is like an alcoholic living atop a bar.

I found
  • Three old windows that I admittedly pulled out of some else's trash when Mrs F was going through her shabby chic design phase. ( my back up plan was to use them to make a green house)
  • Tiki torches that we collected the time that we helped the middle school decorate a dance Hawaiian style and that the real owners did not want back.
  • A box full of the excess solar cover material for the pool.
  • My 1974 Motobecane 10 speed.
  • Three sets of rusty shelves.

All to the curb.

We kept Mrs F's 1978 Huffy 10 speed for sentimental value. It was a gift for graduating High School.

I could have used the "Monback Brothers Trash Hauling" from Prairie Home Companion who not only haul the stuff away, but help you decide what to throw out. Their motto is

If you keep telling yourself, "One of these days I'm going to sort out this stuff" ----- call for us, we'll sort it out for you.

At about 6 PM on Saturday someguy with a mohawk and a pickup drove by and picked off the good stuff (My Motobecane?)


There were a lot of things I had put away into that shed thinking that someday they might be treasures but in the end there was only one thing.

You see my shed has two doors, a left and a right. We use the left door daily to get in and out but the right door is only opened if we have something large entering or exiting the shed. This usually only happens twice a year in April and October.

On Saturday I had the right side door opened and saw something I had forgotten about.

Twice a year I had marked the boys height on the inside frame of the right door and I had forgotten all about it.

I had also marked my height and watched as they slowly got closer and closer to me.

At that moment I was really angry at myself for not taking better care of the shed. These sharpie marks on a 2 x 4 were a treasure that was going to be lost when they come and tear down the old shed in a few weeks.

I went and measured all the heights and recorded them but it's just not the same is it?

Maybe I can continue them in the new shed.

No comments: