Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bruce

I have a neighbor.

He is a neighbor only by geography. His backyard fence touches mine in the corners of the two properties.

In thirteen years of living here I think that I may have seen him once. Maybe twice.

It's more like a bigfoot sighting.

He is single, unmarried and this is his boy-hood home. His parents passed way in the early 90's.

He maintains his house less than I do mine and that is saying something. He has needed a new roof for 4 years. The hedges cover the front of the house like a a teenager covers his eyes with his hair. The pool hasn't operated in 15 years. We have a pool and pond, the pond would be better for you.


There are things living in the pool. Loud things. I think it must be a bull frog or two. It's just kind of like a cough going over and over again. Every once in awhile a bull frog croaks.

Everytime we have mosquitoes, I think of all that still water over there.

There is always light on in the back window but you never see him.

It's just creepy.

I'm saying all this knowing it is a problem. Like you know that some day channel 6 will be out front and all the neighbors will be saying "he was a quiet man, stayed to himself".


The trouble is I don't know what to do about it. We used to have a girl that lived across the street from him, Amy. Amy lived here her whole life as well and knew Bruce growing up.

She was ambassador to Bruce-world.

Now Amy is gone, moved away, and the neighborhood has no one that knows what is going on in the house.

I often wonder if He has any relatives.

Once US Mail was redirected to our house for him. It was a Christmas card. I think I wrote down the address.

I worry about safety. What if some small child gets in that yard with that nasty pool? It might be days before they are found.

I should do something, but I don't know what to do.

These pictures were taken in 1998.

No comments: